Saturday 5 October 2013

What makes a fire burn is space between the logs, a breathing space. Fire, Judy Brown



Being an educator abroad in Cairo, at home, in a private or public school, whatever the subject, the level, the context, is a treasure.


This week end, I am once again reminded of our luck, as teachers. Most of us, and I am no exception, have been inspired by one or two incredible teachers, who planted the seed, which grew over the years and made us decide to become teachers ourselves.


To me, the thing about teaching is selflessness and yet incredible gratification. I have had, over the past years, the chance to see the most beautiful, genuine and heartfelt smiles and I often say: Thank goodness there are children! They are innocent, still mostly uncorrupted and their smiles, reactions, comments and thoughts are treasures of the soul. There is nothing more moving than a proud student, a child who gets a question right, who makes a witty joke, who passes an exam, successful at what he or she tried. As I write this, I have flashes of plenty of precious moments; moments I was lucky to witness so far and I know there are many ahead. I also recall those beautiful words of kindness, to peers or myself, given without the intention to flatter and this emotion, which has often healed parts of my soul, without intending to, is simply overwhelming!

Thank goodness for the children!


A month ago, I introduced myself to parents and I told them, truthfully that I am a professional, hard working person but also a mother myself and I will look after, teach and enjoy their children the same way as I would do if they were mine.

My perspective has indeed shifted even deeper since the best two surprises of my life have happened.

I started to look at my responsibility from a different angle. Even though I had never undermined the responsibility that comes with the job, I realised even more how important that trust is. As teachers, we are given the trust to educate academically, socially and emotionally children, whose parents have the best hopes and expectations and quite rightfully so!


And there it is again, I feel incredibly fortunate to be able to do the job I have always wanted to do, the job which never falls into routine, despite its cyclical pattern, the job which helps shaping the minds of our future generation, the job which forever leaves a mark and the bigger, the better for the students’ sake once again, not ours.


The joke goes that if you can’t do anything, you can always teach! It is funny but SO wrong! I once wrote a response to a newspaper, which was underlining how teachers are badly paid and how the situation will not improve. At the time, I suggested that teachers should stand up for their rights and strike (the French trait!) but my purpose wasn’t to start a riot, it was to shake the foundation of those wonderful, key educators, who are losing rights and not standing up for themselves!

EDUCATION is one of the KEY things you can not cut on! Not if you want to have some promising young representatives for your society. These teenagers are shaped by their educators and it is crucial that they feel valued, from every point of view. Because a pedagogue who feels undervalued will not be performing to the top of his/her ability, it is all the more important to avoid such feelings, as they will impact involuntarily on the students, and that is the worst that could ever happen.


We all have one person, who we remember and respect, that one teacher who, once or many times, shook something inside of us and made us feel successful, proud, excited, engaged. Even today, we still meet colleagues and yearn to become as talented and wise as they are.

That is the teacher we all strive to be, as we equip our students with the keys, point towards the many doors ahead and let them do the rest…


Thank goodness for the children!!!

1 comment:

  1. It goes a step further.... if you can't teach, teach PE (-:

    ReplyDelete